Editing and Coaching
Whether you need a little editing help or a lot, we’ve got you covered.
Here you can choose from basic to comprehensive editing for your memoir. We offer three levels of edit and a Search & Rescue Package so you can choose what you need, when you need it.
- Level 1: Corrects grammar and punctuation errors within manuscript. Includes email notes containing thoughts on sentence structure. Price: 3.5 cents a word
- Level 2: Everything from level 1 plus correcting sentence structure within manuscript. Includes email notes on ideas or storylines that may need clarification or further development. Price: 4.5 cents a word
- Level 3: Brings manuscript to meet Chicago Style Manual standards of style, usage, and grammar. Includes rewrites and suggestions for improvement to story arc to increase readability for intended audience and to increase marketability of book. Price: 6.5 cents a word
The “Search & Rescue” Package
This pay-as-you-go editing service is for help when you need it most, such as when your writing is sinking under the weight of adverbs and adjectives or you’re taking on water of passive voice. Sometimes you just need someone to pluck you out of the waters and rescue you from the doldrums of writer’s block.
The Search & Rescue edit could take the form of a developmental edit, a purely technical edit, or a trusted writing expert to help bounce around ideas as you approach your final draft.
- $250 – a consultation that includes up to 1.5 hours of rapid-response telephone and email editing. This package is prepaid and time is billed in 15-minute increments, including time to read and review your writing sample.
- $475 – a consultation that includes up to 3 hours of rapid-response telephone and email editing. Package is prepaid and time is billed in 15-minute increments, including time to read and review your writing sample.
For the best use of the Search & Rescue Editing Package, we recommend you:
- Select the appropriate size writing sample for the time you can afford. For the 1.5 hour package we recommend no more than 4,000 words.
- Prepare one or two specific questions for the editor that can be gleaned from the selected text.
- Provide any context if needed.
- If speaking by phone, provide times and days you are most available to talk.
Once you’ve paid for the package, you can call anytime for a rescue! Feel free to send 1-2 paragraphs to your editor for a quick fix anytime. Or, use your package for more than one project if you don’t spend all your time on the first one.
If you don't want to sell your memoir, but desire a review of your whole book, you can submit it for review with us. We'll give you the same level of review as the Manuscript Review at the same cost, without consideration for publication. Contact us for a Memoir Review.
If you are unsure where to begin your memoir writing journey, I suggest you first take a Cheerful Word workshop or retreat. It is tremendously helpful to gain instruction from an expert, work with a group of people to learn how to think like a writer, get the right start on your manuscript, accumulate some great ideas, and make some amazing friends along the way. Click here for more information.
If time or other issues prevent you from attending one of our writing workshops, or you simply prefer to work one-on-one with a coach, we are happy to oblige and have people who can expertly help you from start to finish. Contact Us and we’ll set you up with a writing coach pronto!
Prices subject to change